Vitamin D is one of many vitamins your body needs to stay healthy. It plays a crucial role in maintaining the balance of calcium in your blood and bones and in building and maintaining bones.
Vitamin D is obtained from sun exposure, foods, and supplements.
Here are the most benefits of vitamin D
Support Healthy bones
Vitamin D promotes calcium absorption and helps maintain adequate blood levels of calcium and phosphorus, which is necessary for healthy bone mineralization.
Support Immune function
Many studies have proven that vitamin D boosts immunity and reduces the risk of certain diseases, including autoimmune diseases such as; rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease.
In addition to the primary benefits of vitamin d, research suggests that vitamin D may also play a role in controlling and reducing the risk of certain diseases, including diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and multiple sclerosis.
Factors that may increase vitamin D deficiency?
Although the body can create vitamin D, some people are more likely to be at risk of a deficiency than others. Factors that can influence this include:
- Older adults
- People with obesity
- Not eating enough fish or dairy products.
- Lack of sun exposure
- Chronic kidney disease, liver disease, or hyperthyroidism.
- Having a health condition that affects the absorption of nutrients, such as Crohn’s disease or celiac disease.
- Use of certain medications that affect the body’s absorption of vitamin D.
What are the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?
The symptoms of a vitamin D deficiency may include;
- tiredness, aches, and pains
- severe bone or muscle pain or weakness
- stress fractures, especially in your legs, pelvis, and hips
- bone fragility, especially in older adults.
- Getting more infections than usual
- hair loss.
Vitamin D Sources;
- Sun exposure, usually about 15-20 minutes three days a week, is sufficient.
- fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, tuna,..etc.
- vitamin D supplements
Talk to your healthcare provider if you’re concerned about getting enough vitamin D.
MTS Labs provides
Free Home Visit Service